At the end of the village of Ravne, under the “Mali Kovk” hill, there is a parish church dedicated to the parish patron, St. Ulrich.
Ulrich’s homeland was Bavaria, where he was born in 890. He was a weak child, so his parents took a priest’s advice and let the air and sun, God’s best cures, heal him. The boy truly became stronger quite soon. “God has healed him, because he wants him for himself,” his parents thought and sent him to the Benedictine monastery of Saint Gallen in Switzerland, where he received a thorough training and education. Bishop Adalbero invited him to Augsburg and consecrated him as a priest. In 923 he was consecrated as a bishop and later also chosen to be a prince of the empire. He led the diocese for full fifty years, with wisdom gained through prayer. He died on 4 July 973. He is buried in the crypt of the Church of St. Ulrich in Augsburg and his grave is still a pilgrim’s route today.
Ulrich is depicted in bishop’s clothing with a fish in his hand, since – according to one of the more modern legends – a piece of roast meat changed into a fish for him, so he didn’t break the Friday Fast.
The church in Ravne was built in a more modest form in 1659 and got its current appearance and equipment in the years from 1906 to 1908, after a thorough renovation and upgrade of the bell tower. The stone altar was brought from Gorizia in 1906. It originally stood in the church of the Jesuit monastery on the Sabotin hill and was then put in the care of the bishop of Gorizia for several decades after the dissolution of the order. The credit for the altar being given to the church in Ravne goes to archbishop Franz Borgia Sedej, who lived in Ravne as a war refugee for a while in 1915 and managed the archdiocese of Gorizia from there.
In 1912 archbishop Sedej consecrated the catechist Ivan Mozetič, born in Miren near Nova Gorica, as a priest. Mr. Mozetič was then the administrator of the parish for many years, built his home here and chose his final resting place among his dear villagers of Ravne. Mr. Mozetič was the greatest herbalist of his time, who “eased the suffering of soul and body” of many. His excellent student and follower in herbal healing was friar Ašič. In the difficult times of fascist and communist persecution, Mr. Mozetič was assisted at mass by a bright and energetic boy from the village, namely Frenčk Drole. He was consecrated as a priest in 1952 and served in the village of Breginj, but tragically lost his life in a car accident. The parishioners and his classmates, Mr. Medvešček and Mr. Lazar, held a mass in his memory that would have been held at the 50th anniversary of his service.
Until August 2013 the parish was administered by the parish priest of Bukovo, who held the Holy Masses and catechism classes in Ravne. After Marjan Rozman’s transfer the administration of the parish was taken on by the priests in Cerkno. The parish pastoral council and economic committee help them with the work in the parish. In the parish there is also a choir led by Marija, who is also the organist, and a prayer group, which meets regularly. There is an attentive reader at masses, but we are unfortunately short of altar boys. The economic committee takes care of the regular maintenance and renovation of the church. With contributions from the parishioners donated at the offering on the parish holiday, the interior of the church and the church equipment are gradually being renovated.
The congregation in Ravne is not that large, but only God knows how many hidden prayers, sacrifices, and silent, unseen work are made, so that the parish can survive despite difficult times. Even if many things remain hidden to our eyes and the names of many who make sacrifices for the growth of the parish stay unknown, we believe that they are written in the Book of Life. And that is what’s most important.
May the good God bless our efforts for the good of all those who live in this beautiful part of the Cerkno region.