The tastes of the local area have connected again, this time in the Cerkno cream cake. It will smell of cinnamon, apples, butter, and walnuts if you follow the instructions properly. It was created and prepared especially for you in the kitchen of Hotel Cerkno by Valerija Čuk, a chef with very rich experience in baking, and head chef Tomaž Škvarč Lisjak.
- 150 g powdered sugar
- 300 g walnuts
- 100 g flour
- 2 egg whites
- 0,5 l milk
- 150 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100 g flour
- 200 g apples
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 60 g ground walnuts
- 200 g butter
- 60 g powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla sugar
- chocolate for the frosting
- Knead a dough out of powdered sugar, walnuts, flour, and egg whites. Let it rest for half an hour in the fridge.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and put it on a baking plate, which is turned upside down. Flour it well and roll it out directly on the baking plate. Once the dough is rolled out, run a knife under the dough, so it loosens from the surface and then cut it into four equally sized strips.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 170 °C (fan oven: 150 °C). When the ends are well baked, take the dough out of the oven. When it is still warm, run a knife under it, so it loosens from the baking plate. Separate the strips you cut before with a knife, so that you get 4 equally sized parts. Let it cool.
- Prepare the filling. Heat the granulated sugar in a saucepan until caramel forms. Add the peeled apples cut into pieces. Braise the apples until they dissolve into a puree. Add cinnamon. Let it cool.
- Make the vanilla cream. Beat the egg yolks and half of the powdered sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add milk, which you have boiled before, and flour. Cook the mixture while stirring constantly in a water bath for 10 minutes, so that it thickens. Beat the egg whites stiff and add the other half of the powdered sugar. Mix the beaten egg whites with the cooled egg yolk mass. You can simplify the procedure by using a powder for making the vanilla cream, such as Kremin.
- Then make the butter cream. Beat the butter and the powdered sugar fluffy with an electric mixer until they become lighter in color.
- Mix the vanilla and the butter cream. Add the ground walnuts and the braised apples.
- Start assembling the cake. Spread the filling on a layer of dough. Put the next layer of dough onto the filling. Repeat until you have used all the four layers of dough. Coat the assembled cake with the rest of the filling on the top and on the sides. If you want the cake to have straight edges, you can smooth it with a knife warmed up in hot water.
- Cool the cake in the fridge.
- Pour the chocolate frosting on the cooled cake. Once the chocolate has set, slice the cake into pieces and serve it. Enjoy your cake!